Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Heartsong

This is  a piece I wrote a couple of years ago, but having had a really special Christmas this year, it called to mind the joy and thankfulness of this poem.  So, here is to everyone at  Gooseberry Garden, and dVerse, my two favourite poetic communities, as we stand poised on the brink of 2012....

Heartsong

Breeze sighing through golden wheat,
The paddock shimmering in the heat;
A horse's steady clop and the saddle's creak,
These are joyful whispers that I seek.

The sand's gentle squeak on my local shore,
The comforting tumble of the ocean's roar;
Laughter of my children as they splash and play,
These are joyful chants that warm my day.

The soothing tones of piano keys,
Caressing Celtic melodies;
Pure, clear voices in harmony,
All these, too, sing joy to me.

Magpie song, kookaburra's glee,
The call of the parrots in my gum tree;
The calming thrum of rain above,
Yet more of the joyful sounds I love.

My cat's purring warmth on my feet,
My husband's steady heart beat,
my sleepy children's goodnight calls,
These give me joy as each night falls.

But through each of these, in every note,
I hear the joy my Saviour wrote,
And deep within, I pause to sing
Reverent praise in awe to Him. 

5 comments:

Marbles in My Pocket said...

Absolutely beautiful! A perfect Christmas poem! I hope your Christmas and coming days are filled with joy!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/the-best-christmas-ever/

Zoe said...

Thank you so much, Charles - we did have our Best Christmas Ever this year. :)

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

this is beautiful.

Happy Holidays.

;)

Anonymous said...

beautiful piece... I see why you brought it our into the light again

Brian Miller said...

nice...such soothing imagery all the way through...i like it much...sounds like a very special christmas